Wednesday, May 20, 2009

True Story 2


driving through chimalhuacan with the windows down, my hand tracing the planes of wind as we moved along.  we had been drinking micheladas all night.  my mouth was on fire, my body  numb.  your sisters were in the back seat arguing in spanish about the cabron at the entrance to the club.  you were angry, your face stone-like and immovable.  you had wanted to beat the shit out of him, but we had pulled you into the car. your pride was hurt and somehow it was my fault. i just continued to sit silently in the passenger seat, waiting for it to pass over.  you didn't let it.  more yelling in rapid sequence.  i made a comment and your anger spilled forth into a hand gesture that connected with my face. i sat stunned for a minute.  it must have been an accident, but my mind didn't interpret it that way. i completely shut down leaving rationality far behind, screaming at the top of my lungs to stop the car. you pulled the car over into a dirt side street apologizing repeatedly.  your sisters were whispering spanish in my ear. all i heard was rage buzzing in my ears. tears streaming down my face i pushed the door open and stepped into the street.  i hesitated for a minute, then took off running into the darkness.  i could hear you yelling from the car and i didn't care.  i pumped my legs faster. my rage and frustration only carrying me further from the situation.  i ran until i couldn't breathe, my breath coming out in ragged gasps and muted sobs. it was then that i realized that i had no idea where i was. the street lights were broken and police sirens echoed in the distance.  my purse was in the car. there were only 50 pesos in my pocket.  all of the sudden this place was no longer beautiful, but dark and scary.  i was alone.  i sat on a street corner for what seemed like hours too stubborn to walk back to where i thought the car may have been. i sat and questioned everything.

No comments: